Monday, May 2, 2011

The bad man is gone.

I suppose I was around 10 years old when I first heard the name Osama bin Laden.  I don't remember the exact moment, what I was doing, or where I was.  His name just trickled out of the news and over the years he made the headlines more and more.  He was a scary looking man with a dirty beard, and his name became synonymous with terror and evil.    Then on 9/11/01, I, like most Americans had his name seared into my mind and was terrified of him and what he would do next.

I don't know if the world is really a safer place with him gone.  We have been told that his influence and power has been weakend in the past few years.  Perhaps that is true.  But today I am relieved.  The "bad man" is gone, and my sweet Conner, along with his future sibling(s), will not have to fear him.

In the statement released by the Vatican, we are told that,  "In front of the death of man, a Christian never rejoices but rather reflects on the grave responsibility of each one in front of God and men, and hopes and commits himself so that every moment not be an occasion for hatred to grow but for peace."   Reading that made me reflect on what I want to teach Conner.  I don't want to be someone who rejoices in the death of anyone.  I don't believe in the death penalty and I don't think anyone should be able to to play god.  However, I do believe in self-defense and justice.  The vicitms of 9/11 now have some justice, and at least for today, the world is less one horrible monster and this "bad man" will not play a roll in my son's future.  For that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment